the question of anime

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 16:07:03 PST

I have a student intern this semester who interviewed
teachers as a part of a paper he did on anime for an
art education class. I have talked with him about his
results but won't try to report his findings here for
fear that I wouldn't do them justice. I do know that
he looked at several lengthy anime projects (comics
and cartoons). I don't recall the specific titles but
he was impressed with the content of the work. As in
the story lines were pretty deep and dealt with some
universal ideas, etc. My opinion (what I said when he
interviewed me) the anime isn't compatable with my
aesthetic...but I don't loathe it. I have a few kids
who practice drawing these images regularly. They are
creating their own characters. One kid does characters
based on her friends. They are pretty neat. I look at
a lot of art-older and newer stuff. I have my ideas
about what I think is truly great but I don't like art
snobbery. When working with kids, especially my high
school kids, the first priority is to decide what
media and imagery will best comunicate the content of
the art...what will best show what you want to say.
Maybe the best way is the use of media and technique
of Rembrandt or maybe the best way is use of media and
technique of a folk artist or a person who tags trains
or a person who takes objects that already exsist and
places them in a new context or maybe it is through
the use of the anime style. No, I don't want my
students to ONLY draw in this style. Infact, I have
one of my anime kids drawing with a piece of charcoal
taped to the end of a stick (with her at the end of
the stick) in an attempt to loosen her up...I did talk
with her about the need to master *both* styles (anime
and observational or looser, etc.)she is willing to
try. Right now she hates it, but she is trying.

Sorry to go on...two last thoughts...

will anime imagery eventually appear in our great
museums just like Roy Litchenstein's imagery did in
the last 40 years?

If it (drawing the anime stuff) gets a kid to draw...
can it be all bad?

Amanda Linn

=====
"every saint has a past- every sinner a future"
Oscar Wilde