Art student images

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 04:43:37 PST

on 3/4/03 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> well, for one, i was thinking of the relationship of art education and
> contemporary art and imagery that students see a lot of. it seems a bit
> snobbish to me to completely reject magna as an art form. also, since its so
> popular with so many students, it might be cool - and very relevant - to
> really study it and reach conclusions through direct research and experience.
> in other words, to treat it like any other art form/visual imagery we come
> across - to figure out how it fits into art education and into our world in
> general.
> with regard to career opps: more painting traditional nudes in oils or
> creating magna?
> :) wendy

I would agree with Wendy's assessment of the work that was created by this
student. What the art student might lack in terms of a more classical
approach to the creation of visual image and adherence to more time-honored
'themes', she certainly makes up for with not only her technical proficiency
and her dedication to creating her own 'world'. It is often very difficult
to get a student to commit so much time and effort to going back and
reworking an idea time and time again. Much more typical is having students
move from one image to another with little consideration for the discipline
that this girl so obviously displays.

It would be perhaps more intriguing to find a more 'unique' approach to the
art being created rather than the characters that she presents, but this
person is in the process of developing her own thematic approach to
expressing and exploring her abilities and, for that, I think the intensity
of the effort should be applauded.

I still have students caught up on doing Batman and Spiderman images...and
what can you say to them when filmmakers are beginning to give Marvel Comics
new life with the movies that are being released?

Just a thought.

Kevan

---