FWD: CHRISTO ANNOUNCES NEW PROJECT

---------

From: craig roland (rolandc_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 19:52:50 PST

CHRISTO ANNOUNCES NEW PROJECT

(Reuters) World famous artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude have today
announced a new project that is slated to be begin immediately.
Responding to U.S. Homeland Defense Secretary Ridge's call for
artists to rally the cause through anti-terrorist art, Christo has
received permission to wrap the White House in Washington D.C., using
duct tape and plastic sheeting.

Much like the artist's 1995 project "Wrapped Reichstag" in Berlin,
"Wrapped White House" will, according to the artists' plan, seal the
building and those inside. Of the project the artists said, "We are
very excited to use our art making methods in the international fight
against terrorists. By wrapping the White House we hope to help keep
terrorism under wraps, so to speak." Unlike "Wrapped Reichstag" which
was a temporary project, "Wrapped White House" will be the artists'
first permanent work of public art.

100,000 square meters (1,076,000 square feet) of clear high-strength
polypropylene plastic, and 15,600 meters (51,181 feet) of silver duct
tape, 13.2 cm (4 inch) wide, will be used for the wrapping of the
White House.

The work will be completed in as little as one week. The artist's
have contacted other artists across the U.S. who are now in-route to
Washington D.C. in order to finish this work in record time.
Materials have been provided without charge by the German Government.
Recalling the "Wrapped Reichstag," German Chancellor Gerhard
Schroeder stated, "Wrapping the symbol of German Democracy was a
defining moment for the new Germany. Wrapping the White House will
likewise be a defining moment as democracy is restored in America."

Hope they hurry!

---