Re: You have GOT to check out this young artist

---------

From: martha dodge (4boys_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 16:48:54 PST

"Some of my students have successfully built on their lessons from this
>figure drawing practice, but most will be drawing these figures when they
>are 40! And the eyes will always relate to the Manga genre and the ears
>will always be pointed...."

"But I think this young girl, and the thousands like her in our classrooms,
need to learn to draw from observation and imagination using different
styles and techniques until they decide on their own personal style. I also
have many students who give me a hard time when I ask them do draw
differently."

I agree with both of your views, but not all artists are traditionally or
classically trained. I know an animator for Disney who grew up drawing
action and cartoon figures. When I was younger I used to copy anything I
liked whether it was a cartoon or a painting. College art students visit
museums to copy the artwork. There is real educational value in copying and
redrawing images over and over. These students who draw anime found
something they are good at. We should not dampen their interest but try to
encourage them to try other techniques. I bring in anime action figurines to
include in a still life to improve observational skills. When doing a lesson
on Picasso they make a cubist style anime painting.
Martha D.

---