Re: You have GOT to check out this young artist

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust606_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 16:41:58 PST

 Let me give you a little lesson on animation.
Animation is not art copied from art. It is art copied from real life.
It has been stylized, that is all. Disney used real life models to
create his movies and cartoons. Take a good look at Snow White, he used
a live action model to draw her movements from. The Japanese came along
and said, hey how can we make this better? They found a way and blew us
out of the water, as usual. What's more they gave it adult story lines.
I can introduce you to people in their 30's and 40's who are hooked on
the story lines.
All manga or japanime is not pointy eared creatures. They draw real
people too. Have you ever watched an animated japanese cartoon or read a
manga book? Or have you just dismissed it as non art as so many art
teachers have done?
I encourage anime in my classroom, because I learned from comic books.
And for the record I am almost 40, and my art has hung in SoHo, NYC.
And who cares if they like drawing it? They are drawing in your art
class! Or do you prefer the child who sits there and complains that this
class is boring, or I hate art. If that is what you need to hook them,
use it! I do, and my students love the fact that I am 'with it'.
I will probably be flamed for this email, but I am sick and tired of
cartooning and animation being called non-art.
Getting off my soap box in NY
Michele

Mbhirst@aol.com wrote:

> . This comic style is a crutch that most young artists cannot throw
> away. Yes, the Old Masters copied other artist's work....but I do not
> think that we should condone this copying activity. In history, the
> young artists copied the great artists who copied from nature. These
> young artists are copying art that has been copied from art that has
> been copied from art. Some of my students have successfully built on
> their lessons from this figure drawing practice, but most will be
> drawing these figures when they are 40! And the eyes will always
> relate to the Manga genre and the ears will always be pointed....
> Just my biased opinion, but this thread struck a nerve.
> Marcia H in IL

---