RE: You have GOT to check out this young artist

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 15:05:38 PST

Wendy said:

> well, for one, I was thinking of the relationship of art education and
> contemporary art and imagery that students see a lot of. it seems a bit
> snobbish to me to completely reject magna as an art form. also, since its so
> popular with so many students, it might be cool - and very relevant - to
> really study it and reach conclusions through direct research and experience.
> in other words, to treat it like any other art form/visual imagery we come
> across - to figure out how it fits into art education and into our world in
> general.

I have to agree with Wendy. I think somehow, in the next few years, we have
to find real and meaningful ways to relate to the images and styles that are
so appealing to our kids. What I want to dwell on is not necessarily what
they want to investigate.
Our world is about imitation, and it is our job to find ways to redirect the
imitation -to find ways to make it original content, even though it may be
derivative.

Artists have always imitated. Few have the courage to take that imitation to
another place. WE need to guide the imitators not suppress them and
maybe look at some of the values that drive our own thinking.

just a story
I had a 9th grader a couple of years ago who only wanted to do anime kinds
of imitations. She used the style to express personal ideas, but I would rag
on her all the time that it was not legitimate. The next year I found out
she was in a mental health facility. But, she wanted to display her work in
one of my showcases. It was one of the most responded to showcases I have
ever had. I think that boost of the display allowed her to feel some kind
of personal success. And know her work, although "in the style of" continues
to grow in expression. Who am I to say that this style has no value?

If we exclude these popular expressions we will loose the opportunity to
guide and direct and teach ---- in our round about ways to get across what
we really want them to know.

Keep yourself open for the opportunity to nurture.

Patty

---