Re: You have GOT to check out this young artist

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 09:17:19 PST

i think this is a really interesting thread and it gets into some philosophical issues...
i'm a hs art teacher and i see my kids copy (trace) a lot of anime stuff on their own time, which doesn't really bother me - they don't try to sell it and it may be possible that they may get some kind of artistic benefit from doing that; plus, to them, its somehow rewarding.
i have to admit, i am not terribly familiar with the anime genre because it doesn't appeal to me so i haven't spent a lot of time researching it. however, i thought the art that i saw on molly's site was impressive because of the technique - her drawing proportions and details, like texture and shading, and use of color. although the style was familiar, her creatures seemed to me to be her own creations. also, i was extremely impressed by the amount of energy and effort that went into making the website and displaying her work.
although i agree completely with the distaste for copying (it even bothers me when i see fabulous drawings and paintings whose subjects i recognize as being pulled directly from nat'l geographic, etc.), it doesn't seem to me like molly is doing that. she's creating her own images using this style, as i understand it. how is this different than having a class research and do a studio project based on lichtenstein's work, for example, or van gogh, even?
i'd really like to hear more about this from everybody.
wendy