Miami

---------

From: jpawlow2 (jpawlow2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 15:12:40 PST

Hi,

I just got to my computer to catch up since Miami. First, Susan,
congratulations on getting the chance to go to Japan. That is so exciting.

There were two ideas that I came across repeatedly at the conference. One
was the use of the process journal. Journals/sketchbooks have always been an
integral part of the studio experience but presenters like Denise Jennings
(Secondary Educator of the Year-- well deserved) went further in keeping the
journal as a place to record so much information from "What is Art?" to
feedback on the artworks that inspired student concentrations.

Another theme was working with other disciplines. The visual arts is by
nature a discipline that always promotes ourselves through art shows, etc.
The presenters were champions at promoting their programs and seeking
alliances with other departments to gain further exposure and appreciation
and support. In this economic climate, we really do need to teach the rest
of the world to understand us better and therefore support us more.

These conferences are fuel for me.

Jane

---