Re: Tech sources

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 07:33:46 PST

I have difficulties in getting my MS/HS students on computers, but I try at
least once per year to have them do an assignment. This year they are going
to research an artist via the internet. They will use this information to
design a CD jewel case cover. The front cover will be an artwork done by
that artist, and the back will include a brief bio. The artist's most famous
artworks will be listed as if they are "songs". On the CD's themselves (I
have tons of them - mostly promotional ones that come in the mail) they will
paint an one of the artist's works (challenge here will be not only
recreating a famous work, but working in the round and dealing with that
hole in the center). I made two - one VanGogh and one Haring - and my
students begged me to let them make some!

At the intermediate level we have a wireless lab and I am able to use the
computers more. I teach them everything - amazing that even in today's
society there are children who don't know how to type in a URL correctly,
use basic tools, find the hyperlink, etc. So I use the webquests at
http://www.eduweb.com alot - there is one on VanGogh that is wonderful to
see if my 5th graders retained information learned in 4th grade. I find that
if you use the computer as another method to teach (with known goals and
learning experiences in mind) then the students will learn. :-)
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids