wax rings used for sealing potties.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 08:12:14 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Elissa Spruill" <arteduk8r@cox.net>
> A friend of mine teaches a wonderful lesson on Huichol yarn paintings. She
> does NOT use glue. Instead, she uses wax. She goes to Lowe's or Home Depot
> and buys the wax rings used for sealing toilets (really cheap and a good
> soft wax). She melts the wax in a crock pot and brushes a thick coat onto
> mat board. The students (5th graders) use nailheads to press the yarn into
> the wax. I have done the lesson myself and it is very effective as long as
> the wax is on fairly thick.> Elissa

I wonder if this could be used for Huichol (sp.?) beading? Sounds like it
might work...especially the part about it not drying out quickly. Does it
dry up AT ALL? Maybe you could use some sort of fixative over it or layer a
mixture of white glue and water over it to "set" it. Hummm...wheels
spinnin'. Toodles....Bunki

---