Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

Re: mold on clay ~ more

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 07:25:23 PST


No wonder you are so happy with your "machine"!!! I had similar
experience with mold & clay. Now, like you, I am so sensitive I can
smell the mold a day ahead of it being visible on a lemon or other
citrus fruit! I have smelled mold from another room with the door
closed when it was in a Ziplock bag in a refrigerator in the veg.
drawer. Can't work near clay now and that was my love!

A few weeks ago I noticed a grapefruit molding away in the fruit
basket in my kitchen. It had a good crop growing but I had not even
smelled it in the kitchen where I have one of our "machines"! I have
one in my bedroom as well.

When I can afford it I want one for the basement. I haven't had one
asthma incident at home since I got them. In the car driving I still
have. I wonder if the company could be persuaded to make a small one
for the car...???

----------
>From: Rdunkelart@aol.com
>Subject: green mold on clay
>Date: Sat, Mar 30, 2002, 9:17 AM

> In a message dated 3/30/02 4:27:29 AM Central Standard Time,
> judiej50@mindspring.com writes:
> << Just wondering if anyone knows if the gorgeous
> green mold that grows on terra cotta clay while it is still in the bag is
> dangerous. >>
> Welllllll - that is where I think my mold allergy really began. One summer
 I was teaching as an assistant teacher in a Childrens Enrichment
Program. This
 has been about 15 years ago. I remember distinctly opening this bag
if clay and a
 whoosh of moldy air rushed out - I coughed and gagged. The other
teacher took over and said she never worried about the mold in clay
as it made it so wonderful to work with. After that experience I had
bronchitis every fall and gradually
 became so
> mold allergic I could taste mold in bread two or three days before it was
> visible.
> Sinusitis followed and then extreme senstitvity. I had been working with
 clay for years so it probably was just building up in my body and
that one experience stays in my mind. The best clay I think I ever
used had black streaks in it
 - hah my dastardly friend "the mold". Did not know then how
dangerous it was -
 developed a contact allergy then as we had a pug mill and all clay
was recycled. It someone had germs we all got those germs - YUCK - I
had adopted a new baby and was rinsing out diapers - then the contact
allergy developed from the clay and the
> diaper rinsing. What a mess. As much as I love working with clay I have to
 leave it alone or when I have to teach it wear an air filter mask.
Good luck
 Roberta

---