Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

green mold on clay

---------

Rdunkelart_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 06:17:57 PST


In a message dated 3/30/02 4:27:29 AM Central Standard Time,
judiej50@mindspring.com writes:

<< Just wondering if anyone knows if the gorgeous
 green mold that grows on terra cotta clay while it is still in the bag is
 dangerous. >>

Welllllll - that is where I think my mold allergy really began. One summer I
was
teaching as an assistant teacher in a Childrens Enrichment Program. This has
been
about 15 years ago. I remember distinctly opening this bag if clay and a
whoosh
of moldy air rushed out - I coughed and gagged. The other teacher took over
and
said she never worried about the mold in clay as it made it so wonderful to
work
with. After that experience I had bronchitis every fall and gradually became
so
mold allergic I could taste mold in bread two or three days before it was
visible.
Sinusitis followed and then extreme senstitvity. I had been working with clay
for
years so it probably was just building up in my body and that one experience
stays in my mind. The best clay I think I ever used had black streaks in it
- hah
my dastardly friend "the mold". Did not know then how dangerous it was -
developed
a contact allergy then as we had a pug mill and all clay was recycled. It
someone
had germs we all got those germs - YUCK - I had adopted a new baby and was
rinsing out diapers - then the contact allergy developed from the clay and the
diaper rinsing. What a mess. As much as I love working with clay I have to
leave
it alone or when I have to teach it wear an air filter mask. Good luck
Roberta

---