Re: Oh No!! Big Splashy Accident!!

---------

From: Christopher Anderson (canderso_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 10:22:11 PST

Mark,
I witnessed a similar incident at a park once. A family was crammed into
a picnic table and the mother opened a can of soda. The soda erupted in
a stream which showered the entire party, except, of course, for the
mother who seemed to think it was great fun as everyone around her tried
to escape.

>>> markcalexander@yahoo.com 03/28/02 13:05 PM >>>

Oh! No! I just had a very big splashy accident!

A seventh grade girl asked me to open a pint of light green glaze. As
always, I shook it first. Unfortunately, what I didn't know was that the
jar was already open. The jar lid ended up on the floor about 10 feet
away and the whole pint of liquid glaze flew out. There was glaze
splattered in a huge 30' arch. There was glaze all over my face, arms,
shirt, pants, tie and shoes. There was glaze splattered to varying
degrees on the clothing of three students, but fortunatly no one's was
as laden with glaze as my clothing. There was glaze on the ceiling,
walls and floor. There was glaze on my plan book and my grade book, as
well as about a dozen art reference books. I had to quickly clean glaze
off of all the top pieces of student artwork that was set out to be
graded because the term ends today. There was glaze all over my cushy
chair, all over the skeleton on the stand, all over the tool bins
holding ink, glue, pencils and other handy supplies. I never would have
imagined glaze!
 could go so far. Then, as one boy on clean up detail was trying to
rinse out a sponge, he turned on both taps full blast and because the
devil himself designed my artroom sink, about 95% of the water landed on
him. He looked as if he had fallen in the river. The nurse gave him a
new set of clothes, but mine are still just wet and gritty and chalky
looking and I can't wait to get home to change them.

All in all, it was a good time. We actually ended up having a great
laugh, all except for the girl who gave me the open jar to open. But
then, I expect she'll get used to a failing grade in art and missing the
'High Honors Luncheon" for this term.

Thankfully, it wasn't worse. No glaze got in any faces but mine. The
glaze didn't land on the two computers that were running on the table
right behind me. None of the student artworks was badly damaged, and we
even had an extra jar of light green glaze on the shelf to replace the
wasted one. As I like to say, "everything worked out fine....the police
didn't even have to come."

I'm having a very memorable day and looking forward to a three day
weekend. Mark