Oh No!! Big Splashy Accident!!

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 10:03:14 PST

Oh! No! I just had a very big splashy accident!

A seventh grade girl asked me to open a pint of light green glaze. As always, I shook it first. Unfortunately, what I didn't know was that the jar was already open. The jar lid ended up on the floor about 10 feet away and the whole pint of liquid glaze flew out. There was glaze splattered in a huge 30' arch. There was glaze all over my face, arms, shirt, pants, tie and shoes. There was glaze splattered to varying degrees on the clothing of three students, but fortunatly no one's was as laden with glaze as my clothing. There was glaze on the ceiling, walls and floor. There was glaze on my plan book and my grade book, as well as about a dozen art reference books. I had to quickly clean glaze off of all the top pieces of student artwork that was set out to be graded because the term ends today. There was glaze all over my cushy chair, all over the skeleton on the stand, all over the tool bins holding ink, glue, pencils and other handy supplies. I never would have imagined glaze!
 could go so far. Then, as one boy on clean up detail was trying to rinse out a sponge, he turned on both taps full blast and because the devil himself designed my artroom sink, about 95% of the water landed on him. He looked as if he had fallen in the river. The nurse gave him a new set of clothes, but mine are still just wet and gritty and chalky looking and I can't wait to get home to change them.

All in all, it was a good time. We actually ended up having a great laugh, all except for the girl who gave me the open jar to open. But then, I expect she'll get used to a failing grade in art and missing the 'High Honors Luncheon" for this term.

Thankfully, it wasn't worse. No glaze got in any faces but mine. The glaze didn't land on the two computers that were running on the table right behind me. None of the student artworks was badly damaged, and we even had an extra jar of light green glaze on the shelf to replace the wasted one. As I like to say, "everything worked out fine....the police didn't even have to come."

I'm having a very memorable day and looking forward to a three day weekend. Mark