artists in residence video series 2

---------

From: Chris Anderson (canderso_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 08:52:43 PST

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I can tell you've watched plenty of
videos! Unfortunately many of the characteristics you look for are the
hardest to capture or seem to occur with little planning. To be honest,
there is good reason why many artists are not movie stars. THe most
innovative and creative artist can be really boring or just gets nervous
in front of the camera.

Many of the subjects you have mentioned (childhood memories, dealing with
failure, the evolution of an idea, overcoming disabilities, and basic
techniques) have been addressed in various tapes. Gail Larned talks about
seeing fairies in her aunts garden and the impression it made on her. Dave
Brand lost a piece to a cracked mold and literally blew up (it took some
editing to tone it down and oddly enough comments "I'll just have to make
art out of this." I followed potter Scott Bennett for a three month
period as his concept evolved, and I have shot two disabled artists:
legally blind award-winning photographer Traci Parks and wheelchair bound
polymer clay artist Daphne Hill. Basic techniques are probably best
addressed in the glass blowing tapes, however the potter tapes probably
best demonstrate throwing and centering techniques.

If you would like to check out our online catalogue please go to
www.artinres.com

This is an ongoing series. My goal is to document acclaimed artists
working in the full range of artistic forms (I even have a magician!)from
around the country in order to truely build a library of the arts. Any
suggestions you can make are greatly appreciated. CHris Anderson

---