RE: ART EDUCATORS HELP!!!

---------

From: Freeland, Susan (FREELAS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 07:27:40 PST

"For example," said Goodwin, "about half of our elementary schools have no
art teachers. When children do not master basic visual arts knowledge and
skills in their elementary schooling, it may be caused by the lack of sub
stantive, standards based- art instruction. As a result, students enter
middle, junior and senior high schools with first and second grade art
skills. They become "remedial" art students. Thus students-and their
teachers, play 'catch up' for their remaining years of schooling. Learning
requires sustained effort-studying a subject over time, building on
knowledge
in a sequential fashion, gaining a historical perspective, and developing a
certain level of subject mastery such as those recommended in state and
local
curriculum frameworks."