Re: Videos for Art Class

---------

From: Peter Gorham (gorhapej_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 02:43:30 PST

    I like the way that Wendy describes using videos in her
class, specificallyas background to other working. Lately
I've been playing with sound down, or off, or even at
regular levels while students are working on a project- This
sort of background viewing seems to get most of the
message of the video across, and catches kids who would
not otherwise be working - It is a great way to change the
tone of the room and does not fit with the way we use
video in schools usually- though this is the way we watch
television at my house (working with our hands or even
reading with the television in the background)
For the last week. I have been watching a video from the
National Film Board of Canada constantly, repeatedly as I
teach K to 12 students. Some of the classes have been
working on relateed projects some not-although everyone
has seen the projects that are relateed to the works one
the video. The video is an engaging collection of three
films about the collage and painting methods of the late
Jack Shadbolt. The video is called "Transfigured:Jack
Shadbolt Inside The Mind"
This is the not an advert but for those who are interested
the video can be ordered at 1-800-267-7710 (CANADA)
and at 1-800-542-2164 (USA) there is a website
www.nfb.ca-Note, I have not gone there yet but I will.

Peter