Reporting out on Miami - a more substantive approach

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 04:56:00 PST

Hi all,

I returned to MN from Miami early Monday morning (7:30 flight), with my Art
Educator of MN cohorts. I also enjoyed (as has been stated by many others),
meeting the Getty listserv folks, even though I could not attend either the
breakfast or the lunch due to conflicting sessions / plans. Thanks Judy for
your warm welcome and all the effort that you put into the badges, not to
mention the creative solution to repairing my reading glasses - they held up
through Sunday when I got to a Walgrens in South Beach to replace them.

It was also good seeing Maggie and Kay (again thanks to the having the
badge). As Bunki said, putting faces to names is very comforting. It
certainly helps to make the online experience a bit more human. Perhaps I
will get to meet more of you next year as the convention is being held in my
backyard - Mpls.

I am compiling a book that has the notes I took at the convention of many of
the workshops that I attended, along with handouts and some additional web
research that I engaged in to help fill out the presentations that were
given. If you are interested in receiving a copy, let me know and send me
your address - perhaps replying to my email versus the list would be better
in terms of privacy issues (seems to be a growing concern lately). I
offered this last year when I attended the NAEA Convention in NYC.

Here is a list of the materials I covered:

Brain Compatible Visual Education - Dennis Dake

Bridging the Curriculum Through Art - Nancy Walkup and Pam Stephens

Ceramics: Reflections of Korean Character - Dr. Arthur K. J. Park and Mary
R. Park

Eduoard Duval Carrie - Miami Artist Series

An Electronic Portfolio - Carolyn Craig

Mural Painting Workshop - Christina Schlesinger

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards

Online Professional Development for Teachers - Craig Roland

Process vs Product - Mark Coates

Should We Create New Aims for Art Education - Elliot Eisner

Elliot Eisner

The Teaching Artist - Lynda Montik-Isenberg

Technology of Art Teacher Preparation - Sally Shumard

What Are We Teaching? K-12 Ceramics - Stephen Carpenter II

Kevan Nitzberg

---