Re: Architecture Lessons

---------

From: J+G Grant (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 05:26:13 PST

Last year I worked with a grade four group on a Hundertwasser inspired town. We looked at what he had done, why we all seemed to respond so warmly to his work. The children chose various areas of a town and worked in groups designing the buildings that would be in that area (hospital, supermarket, housing, playground, etc.). Each major building had some form of symbol attached to it that had meaning to that group. After they had worked on the designs (there was much discussion/argument - I refused to decide things for them - their town, their decisions), they built it. A friend cut out large pieces of masonite that fitted together. Each group had their piece and they built their buildings, designed their roads, etc. with wire, boxes, papier mache, etc. As each piece was finished it was placed on a large table in the front window (inner city school so there were many passers-by). It was wonderful! The children came up with a name and wrote a summary of the processes they had worked through and placed it next
to it. Got loads of positive responses!
Gina
Melbourne/Australia

---