sharing some more info from NAEA....long again

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 19:57:09 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

I'm going to be doing a lot of moving in the next week so I wanted to share
before I lost everything and got too busy.

ON-THE-SPOT SKETCHING:
Carolyn and I went to a fabulous workshop called "On-the-Spot
Sketching"...Liz Smith-Cox, presenter. After a very quick summation, we were
given drawing materials and sent outside into the evening for an hour to do
four specific drawings. We were to use our fingers to make a little box as a
viewfinder. There were palms, water, foliage, and store windows to glean
ideas from.
    1. Use your "viewfinder" to "frame" your subject. Look for zooming in on
subject matter to
            find interesting compositions.
    2. Do 4 quick sketches
            a. one contour drawing with the flair pen
            b. one shaded value drawing with drawing pencil
            c. one color sketch with crayons or colored pencils
            d. one mixed media drawing

Each drawing was to be 15 mins....no more...no less. Went back to hotel for
a quick critique afterwards. Chose our favorite sketch to share and tell why
you chose that one particular sketch. Tell one thing you learned during the
assignment.

I liked doing the various methods of drawing and this seemed to be the most
relaxed time I spent the entire 7 days. I'll let Carolyn tell you what SHE
learned from this workshop. I found this to be a GREAT classroom idea for a
drawing unit.
Another workshop I liked was a GEOMETRIC STRUCTURE workshop. It was your
basic making-a-tectrahedron (triangle) structure but taking if further into
a dome shape...rounded shape. Instead of using straws and yarn as most of us
have seen, he cut lots of used ditto paper in half...5.5x8"...and we rolled
up the each of the papers over a pencil like little cigarettes and
glue-sticked them. They were MUCH stronger than straws which was good for
bigger constructions. Our only restriction was that the shape had to fit
through the door. He had made a little tool for each of us out of coat
hanger wire with a hook made at each end. This was perfect for pulling the
yarn through the "cigarettes" and tying together.

This workshop would be perfect for 5-6thers as a math and art connection.
***********************************

Anne Ayers had a super workshop...once again making sculptural books. If you
ever go to an NAEA convention, make SURE you get into one of her workshops.
They are fast-paced but you will walk out with a great sculptural
idea...trust me! This was, as always, another book idea of hers. Ann and her
partner are so clever in how they come up with ideas for their books.

This year they came up with a new twist to preparing the paper for the book
using "pasted paper" instead of their usual Createx dyes. Both methods have
a diff. "feel" to them. I like the pasted paper method the best for moi
because the kids don't have to deal with dyes and can work easier and
cleaner with paint instead...AND...the pasted paper colors don't come off on
your hands as you work with the paper like the dyes do. Anyway....if was a
different way of working with coloring paper.

***************************

Missed a FABULOUS workshop. I'm green with envy after seeing the products
from the FIBULA MAKING workshop. I had no idea what "fibulas" were so I
didn't pay much attention to the write-up. I'll still be kicking myself from
here to Christmas over this boo-boo. A fibula is an ancient form of jewelry
shaped somewhat like a safety pin. These were GORGEOUS!!!!! I got the
colored handout from the presenter after MUCH begging, groveling and
bartering. If anyone on this list knows even the slightly bit of info on
this kind of jewelry making, PLEASE email me off list. The presenters for
this one were Dean Johns and Cindy Klingberg from NC. I hope they do this
one again 'cause I wanna be in the front row!

Bought two neat books....best one yet on illumination called "The
Illuminated Alphabet" ISBN 0-8069-9074-0. Maggie took one look at mine and
bought one too. Another goodie is a very comprehensive op art book called
"The Art of Optical Illusions" (won some kind of award) ISBN 1-84222-054-3.
Best one I've seen on optical illusions...the classic stuff and lots of new
stuff.

Toodles.....Bunki

---