Re: Videos for Art Class

---------

From: Wendy Manning (wmanning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 22:34:28 PST

I got 2 new videos this year and have been pleased with both of them.
 "Mary Cassatt" is an emmy-winning, fictionalized movie about Cassatt, her
nieces and nephew, and Degas. The theme was her struggle, as a woman, for
recognition. It's very kid-friendly and the grade sixes enjoyed it.
  I wasn't so sure about the A&E Biography of Picasso. I let the class work
silently while it was on, because I thought it was a little dry, but they
watched it and insisted on seeing it all. It really dishes the dirt about
Picasso and his women, and their effect on his work, and they were
fascinated and asked lots of questions. I warned them about the nude stuff
and fast-forwarded the racier bits.
   Other favorites are Linnea in Monet's garden(grade 6), the Elements of
Design (grade 7) and Masters of Illusion(grade 8)
   Wendy

> What are your favorite videos to use in Art Class for Elementary, or
> Middle School, or Junior High,or High School Art?
> Which the most bang for the buck?
> How do you use videos as a productive tool?
> With discussion, handout, questions or.........?

---