Re: styrofoam and kiln

---------

From: Doris Wilbur (wilburd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 17:12:39 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 8:32 PM
Subject: styrofoam and kiln

> Has anyone every used styrofoam as an armature under clay? Can you do
> this, will the styrofoam evaporate like paper does? Is the recommended or
> not?

We used styrofoam to sculpt in college then buried it in sand outdoors and
left a small opening at top. Then we melted aluminum cans, siding, etc. in a
large crucible with a propane burner and poured that into the opening. The
styrofoam evaporates to a very, very toxic gas. Even outside you have to
stay away from the major noxious fumes. The evaporation metal castings were
great however, and not that expensive a project for adult sculpture artists.
Doris

---