Jude and Ken V.'s pens......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 09:22:02 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
> Hi all,......I got to meet Ken Vieth (From
> Ordinary to Extraordinary) and purchase one of his pens!!!!! These were
> wonderfully handmade pens....by wrapping a quill on one end of a piece of
> wood-a branch-such as grapevine or bamboo or something along those lines.
> They were beautifully embellished with wire and beads. He has had his
> students make their own pens and then write in their journals about one
> aspect of their life which would still be the same in 10 years-not their
> weight, for instance, but some aspect of their character....and then to do a
> pen and ink self portrait and work in some of the text from the other piece
> into this drawn image....my wheels are turning! Hope this description is
> clear enough to turn some of yours, as well!> Jude

I saw these pens too...his room was just down the hall from us. These pens
are beautiful "works of art". The handles are actually the "artwork" made
out of small wood/tree branches with attached wire sculpture and beads with
a pen nib attached at the other end with small rope. They run about $35
each. They came attached to a matboard which had pegs so the pens could be
displayed on the wall via matboard as "art".

I like the idea of incorporating the writing into the pen making. Did he do
a workshop or presentation on this? If so, I missed it. Toodles......Bunki

---