Re: Ideas for tea ceremony

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 17:18:11 PST

I'm sorry I'm so late responding to Marian's thread about the tea ceremony.
I have done it for 3 years as a critique for ink paintings and tea bowls.
The kids get dressed up and buy authentic foods. I do the hostess's job by
preparing tea. We begin with "sweets" of candies, fruit, cookies, etc and
then have tea. Custom is to apoligize as you pass the food to the person
behind you. "Pardon me for going before you." The kids love this. It
needs to be quiet and peaceful or else you're just trivalizing a deeply
spiritual ritual. I often set the mood with music. I have a lesson for it
posted at:
http://learnnc.com/learnnc/lessonp.nsf/SearchStandard/711532DDB3CA6040852569230007DAB8?OpenDocument

If you can't open the above link, go to http://learnnc.com and do a search
for "japanese" or "harrell." The title of the lesson is "Japanese Tea
Ceremony; a Critique for Screens and Scrolls."
Michelle