Re: ARCHITECTURE LESSONS

---------

skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 03:03:34 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "LEO DAVINCE" <ytsirk_uno@yahoo.com>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 9:40 PM
Subject: ARCHITECTURE LESSONS

> I am looking for some fresh ideas with encorporating
> the topic of architecture into hands on lesson for
> elementary students K-8.

 I did an architectural lesson that was really fun and I think the children
learned a lot. I cut out about 40 -50 pictures of buildings from calendars,
and magazines such as Smithsonian and National Geographic. First we
discussed lots of architectural terms as I held up some of the pictures.
Then I had the children (4th graders) sit in a big circle. I gave each
child a photograph and told them to start drawing a small portion of it in
the middle of their paper. They had about two minutes to draw, and then
they passed the picture to the child on their left. We did this for about
30 minutes. They used black sharpie pens on 12" x 18" paper. They thought
it was like a game and loved it. The pictures came out great.
Sky

---