ARCHITECTURE LESSONS

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 18:40:17 PST

I am looking for some fresh ideas with encorporating
the topic of architecture into hands on lesson for
elementary students K-8. At a secondary level I have
no problem in discussing, evaluating and studying how
architecture is an art form that basically begins the
course of study in art. At the elementary level it is
a different story.
These are some ideas that I have tried but would like
to motivate elementary students into a greater
understanding of art and architecture with fresh
ideas. I have used perspective drawings of buildings
(real and imagined), building models of casles and
medieval structures, using 3D geometric shapes to
construct futurist style cities, the old straw (or
toothpick) structure based on Buckminster Fullers
geodesic dome.
If you have anything else that has worked for you or
some sites that you have found useful in teaching
architecture even to a grade 1 class, can you post
them on this site.