Re: Using art as discipline.

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 17:37:11 PST

I agree with the total picture part - yet I don't allow children to be
pulled out of my class for any reason (discipline, remedial help, special
ed, testing, etc) because I have them for 25 minutes 2 times weekly. I have
an agreement with the classroom teachers that if the child MUST be pulled
out of a special then to look at P.E., music, band (if it's 5th or 6th
grade), or even library (since all they do in there is check-out books and
this can be done anytime). These teachers all have them daily, so if a
student misses occasionally then it doesn't put them as far behind. In our
building, if a student needs remedial math or reading it is done during
class time during that subject. (Which makes sense, if a student is behind
then they won't be "getting it" during regular class instruction).
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids