Re: LAUREL BURCH

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 15:07:58 PST

oooooohhhhh, you are soooooo lucky! I would love to own one of her books
(preferably the one you got!). I do a project that I got from School Arts -
I do it with my 4th grade, but it would be easily adaptable to higher
levels. I have my 4th graders draw an abstracted cat on black paper with
chalk. They draw a border on either 2 or 4 sides. Then they draw a SIMPLE
pattern in the border and on the cat. We outline everything in glue
(sometimes we glitter as well). Color with pastels or colored chalk. They
are stunning when finished. If I were to do this with upper level students I
think I'd have them use oil pastels and do some value changes, and to create
an exotic background of some sort.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids