RE: Found Object Sculpture

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 09:50:44 PST

> Take a look at Hands On Toys at
> http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues97/dec97/toys_dec97.htm
> l.
> A related site is Recycled, Re-Seen at
> http://www.moifa.org/past/RecycledReSeen/RRtempindex.html
>
> Respectfully submitted,
> BJ Berquist

These are both great resources - we have been doing a lot of found/junk
projects this year. I am almost thinking about not ordering any supplies
next year and challenge my creativity and the kids by using only junk,
classroom leftovers and donated cast-offs - talk about cleaning the room!

In our area we have a guy who goes by the name Junk Genius - he has been to
our school several times. He makes vending machines, robots and sculptures
out of things as simple as cardboard and as complex as motors from Goodwill
finds.

The kids love to create sculptures using junk and old toys. I had my fifth
graders collect - and I supplemented with Goodwill- stuff. They didn't
bring much in (never met so many people without junk drawers and toy bins!)
- but we had a good supply. Soft plastic could be cut into sections
(torsos, limbs...) hard plastic was trickier - most screws aren't standard -
phillips or flat - but a triangular screw top... we scavenged pieces to make
new things - . They were fifth grade - each table had two hot glue guns -
no accidents with three classes.

We are also using the Recycled-Reseen text/print/video set in primary
classes... and just bought the video 'Daniel and the Towers' (?) about the
Watts Towers - thought the kids might like it. (Reading Rainbow episode 111
- The Wonderful Towers of Watts by Patricia Zelver)

Use the book Calder's Circus - although I was disappointed in the video...

---