RE: Help with mobiles

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 07:45:52 PST

Joe,
Two things that were most helpful to me when constructing mobiles with kids:
start from the bottom and work up
use fishing swivels at joints -

when I start with kids, I pull out found objects - they find a partner and
each attaches an item or two to wire - threading it on the wire. Then with
their partner, they loop the wire around an arm - could be stronger wire,
bamboo skewers...... Now they find the center or center of balance and mark
it.... attach a wire to it....find another group and put the two arms on
another skewer or wire and keep building one class mobile from the bottom up
- it doesn't take long and the kids can see how to construct a balanced
piece before they start on their own.

Ellen

> Does anybody have anyweb sites or lessons for high school students on
> making mobiles? I haven't done this in over 14 years, now we are
> looking at having a contest at our school for students to create moblies
> that will hang in the main stairwell. I have a video on A. Calder and
> some books, but I was wondering if there was any other help out there.
> Thanks in advance (I know some will help!)

---