RE: Yarn painting solution

---------

From: J+G Grant (jggrant_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 17:15:09 PST

I don't know this product but I have been doing this particular activity with children for years and part of the fun/learning process is working with actual bees wax. I have a friend who makes me small boards with simple frames which act as a lip to the wax. This I purchase from a bee keeper (very cheap), melt and pour into the frames. The smell is delicious! Then the children use any implements they can (they usually find which works best for them) and use small balls of wool (I have generally wound this into small balls from much larger ones as I find it easier for little hands) to make quite beautiful designs. This is of course after we have discussions about the Huichol, why they use these materials and what their designs mean to them. The children create their own designs with their own meanings. These are remembered by all the students well after they have made them. The only stipulation is that they should not be placed anywhere near a heat source!
Gina
Melbourne

---