Re: Elem. teachers/switching classes

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 17:59:41 PST

? from Judy in Cleveland..At your school, are teachers permitted to
rearrange your schedule whenever they have field trips, standardized
testing, assemblies, parties, etc, etc., etc.

   As a general rule, no. Anytime changes need to be made, the special area
teachers are given notice of the suggested or mandatory (ie. in the case of
the state proficiency tests for Gr 4) class time switches. We are permitted
and encouraged to offer input regarding any changes and have the backing of
our principal.
   As a professional courtesy, I always try to fit in classes that miss for
parties, field trips, assemblies, etc. However, we are not required to make
these up. Whenever a teacher or grade level group has gone behind my back
or ordered me to my face to make a change, they get a taste of my hot , but
diplomatic wrath. I expect to be treated in a professional manner.

               Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
               on Spring Break, figuring out how many days I have left to
retirement in June!

---