Re: contributions

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 11:12:47 PST

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Whenever I encounter a student who's drawing skills surpass that of
>his/her
>classmates I have gotten with their classroom teacher and come up with a
>plan. I had one last year who was LD - I had no idea, but when I discussed
>her skills with her teacher we were able to come up with a plan where she
>would first draw her object (usually horses) and then write stories about
>them. Her spelling and writing skills jumped a full grade level and she
>was
>able to balance her pride in her drawing with her shame over her writing
>skills (she knew she was behind and embarrased over this). Be sure that
>you
>as the teacher don't use "blanket praise" - don't say things like
>"Everyone
>is doing a wonderful job". Be specific to the others in class - "I like
>how
>dark you're coloring", "I love how real your turtle looks", etc etc. This
>should help the others in class see how their art is important as well.

This is such good advice as I sometimes have this encounter at high school
level and have to find a way to get this student into advanced classes
where space is very limited - fortunately the teacher for those classes is
wiling to talk to and look at portfolios and sketchbook from outside work
- my problem is that I don't have time to challenge the kid further while
teaching a whole bunch of beginners so the kid gets to be the loser if
some actin isn't taken.

Sue E. Stewart
Sumner High School

---