Re: contributions

---------

From: Susan M Kipp (smkipp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 10:39:42 PST

Annie: I, too, teach K-5. And of the 350 students I teach, I have a handful
of extremely talented kids. Right now, my most gifted student is an
autistic 5th grader.
I use a whole lot of different strategies to equalize the environment.
My mantra is that there are no mess-ups only creative solutions!
I really emphasize the Be RESPECTFUL part of the 3B's. This includes being
respectful to one's self. There are are NO put-downs to others or to
oneself, only opportunities to do it better next time.
I make sure that the students realize that they are not being compared to
other students only to the rubric. The standards are high, but all can be
successful.
Before I offer a suggestion, I make sure I tell them what they have done
well so far. I also make sure that they hear me give suggestions to the more
cabable students.
We also do critiques ala DBAE and write reflection papers.
Kids are not stupid. they always know who's the best artist, the best
reader, the best whatever. But if they feel safe and validated, they will
feel OK about it.