Re: contributions

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 09:21:33 PST

> 1. I am subscribing to the talk digest because I couldn't keep up with
the
> hundred or more messages that I used to recieve on the list serve. How
does
> everyone keep up?

I am not on digest, and am on 5 list servs - some only receive 2-3 e-mails
per week, and then theres this one.... :-) I don't read everything. I have
folders set up so when the topic is say "weaving" if I am not weaving with
my students at the time I just drag all those into that folder. If it is a
topic I am not interested in I just click delete. Some I just leave until I
have the time to read them at leisure. I don't have any other art teachers
to discuss and share with, so this list is invaluable to me.

> 2. I teach 1st - 5th and have a very gifted 1st grader who I am puzzled
> about. I do not want to single her out and I believe it is important
that
> I don't praise her art any more than another student, but her gift is
unlike
> any I've ever seen at that age.

Whenever I encounter a student who's drawing skills surpass that of his/her
classmates I have gotten with their classroom teacher and come up with a
plan. I had one last year who was LD - I had no idea, but when I discussed
her skills with her teacher we were able to come up with a plan where she
would first draw her object (usually horses) and then write stories about
them. Her spelling and writing skills jumped a full grade level and she was
able to balance her pride in her drawing with her shame over her writing
skills (she knew she was behind and embarrased over this). Be sure that you
as the teacher don't use "blanket praise" - don't say things like "Everyone
is doing a wonderful job". Be specific to the others in class - "I like how
dark you're coloring", "I love how real your turtle looks", etc etc. This
should help the others in class see how their art is important as well.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids