contributions

---------

From: Annie Blood-Patterson (anniebp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 11:59:26 PST

 I have been wanting to post a couple questions to everyone for a while.
Here they are:
1. I am subscribing to the talk digest because I couldn't keep up with the
hundred or more messages that I used to recieve on the list serve. How does
everyone keep up? Does anyone know of a way to have the artsednet e-mails
automatically go directly into a special folder when you download them? I
miss being on a direct link with you all. The Digest is frustrating
because I don't like having to sort through all the messages without the
ability to delete as I go.
 2. I teach 1st - 5th and have a very gifted 1st grader who I am puzzled
about. I do not want to single her out and I believe it is important that
I don't praise her art any more than another student, but her gift is unlike
any I've ever seen at that age. I know her parents know this - her dad is
an artist - but we have had to address in class the issue that the other
children ooh and ahh over her work a lot and constantly hero worship her.
This has made her really uncomfortable and she was able to verbalize this
really well to her classmates. We had a great class discussion where she
asked kids not to over do it with their praise and others said that it
sometimes hurt their feelings if they were sitting next to her and the rest
of the class noticed her work and not theirs. I guess I am interested to
know if anyone else has had to contend with this kind of issue at such a
young age?

---