Re: artsednet digest: March 20, 2002

---------

From: Linda Erling-Baker (beartsmart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 16:54:27 PST

Subject: Re: Question from a lurker about art teaching

One of my biggest challenges right now is that the kids work at such different paces.  Some kids will whip through a project and finish it very quickly and DO NOT want to work on it anymore and other kids will work SO slow.  The kids that finish early just want to talk to their friends and not do anything else.  Does anyone have any ideas

The first week of school, I have them make their own sketchbooks and give them a list of drawings to glue inside the front cover. When they finish early, they are to work in their sketchbooks. Most are eager to this, a few not as much but they will actually sit there and draw. A certain number of sketches are due by the end of each marking period. Many students will take their books home to work on, those who have not completed them receive a note on their report cards stating such and know they will receive a lower grade for "class participation".
Linda

---