Re: Question from a lurker about art teaching

---------

From: Wendy Manning (wmanning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 13:22:42 PST

  I teach middle school.
In my posted rubrics I always give the estimated time to do the project reasonably well. I give frequent reminders that I won't accept something slapped together in 15 minutes if the rubric says it should take 1 1/2 hours. Each time the rushers come back to me (often in 5 to 10-minute increments) I tell them it's starting to look better already, why should they hand in something so-so when they could hand in something great, etc. They say they "don't care"? I answer they don't have to care, they have to learn. And I make it clear that I, not they, decide if the work is finished.
  Usually the project has improved enough to impress the student him/herself, and it's easier next project.
 Hope this helps.
     Wendy