Re: Question from a lurker about art teaching

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 08:38:48 PST

        Being done does not always mean they are finished. They need to be
encouraged to add details, embellish the work, consider alterations.
Don't be willing to accept below par work from those who are capable
of much more. When finished they should also become a teacher. Now
is the time to find out if they really understood it. There job is to
help explain
the problem to others. That's where the real learning takes place.
Also don't make the additional assignments too attractive
or they will want to be done just to work on it. I try to have a backlog
of work for students to do: take exhibits down, put exhibits up, sort and
wash paint brushes, fill glue bottles, inventory supplies, sort prints,
make and label folders for art in other classes, clean the sink, etc.
Some students just love to work, to clean, to help, etc. I suspect that
they don't do it at home. I was in school the other day and most of
what I did was set out jobs for students to do after spring break.
I had a real job 27 years ago. I don't want to work too hard now
except to figure ways for my students to do my work for me.
There is not enough time for me to get it done.
         As of June 1st the construction crews are coming to start on remodeling
our school. I have to have everything packed for storage. I try to have
empty boxes available daily so students who are done can help pack up
more of the room. In 25 years you tend to aquire a lot of stuff.
                                        Woody in KC