RE: Question from a lurker about art teaching

---------

From: Freeland, Susan (FREELAS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 07:33:19 PST

 I have a project that I assign as a warm up so they know what to do and I
can help them with it. But I don't let them work on it too long just long
enough to take attendance. It works well for sub assignments too because it
can go on and on and they Know what to do.

It's a "Non-representational Abstract Emotional Design"
At the beginning of the semester I brainstorm a list of emotions on the
chalkboard and have them write them on their folders. Then they have to
choose one emotion at a time to depict using the elements and
principles...shapes color line pattern movement etc...not all elements are
in each one but they should be thinking of these as they create their
design. No white paper showing. After they finish one they then choose
another and I talk about series of works...this is very non-threatening to
them with a high rate of success and they all know what to do...it's right
in their folder so they do not have to get up and move around the room.
i also went out and bought trays at the dollar store...I think they are
actually dish drainers to keep colored pencils and sharpeners etc right on
the tables...the less they move around, the less trouble they can cause!
If you need more info please let me know.
Sue

>Does anyone have any ideas for me? I have tried extra credit sketches,
reading a book, helping me clean around the room and things like that, but
many times they put up a struggle. What works for junior high! kids?
Marcia L.

---