Re: tea in teacups

---------

From: Marvin P Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 07:06:08 PST

At 05:51 PM 3/20/02 -0000, you wrote:
> . . . . . .I am a little concerned because
>in order for the bottom to be stained, it means the tea was seeping through
>the glaze to the bottom. I am a little worried! Please help! . . .

Michelle
I am a potter. The tea stain is not harmful. Cracks in the glaze and
porous clay are fairly common when you make earthenware pottery and raku
ware. If the glazes are melted smooth, they have been fired hot enough.
If they are labeled as safe for food, lead free, etc., you have nothing to
worry about. I suppose some people could worry about the bacteria (germs)
in the glaze cracks, but boiling water would kill most bacteria. In many
cultures they used unglazed porous pottery to cook and eat from. They are
not harmed by this.
Marvin

---