Re: Question from a lurker about art teaching

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 19:44:49 PST

What works for junior high students????? DETENTION!!!! They will argue and fight you, but if you don't let up and tell them that early finishers must do X, X, or X, then they will eventually accept this and do it. Don't give in! :-)
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  Yes, I agree. I just started my new job a month or so ago and I am juggling so many things! Also, I didn't think assigned seating was important. I thought the kids would work fine by their friends. Well, some can, but MOST in junior high will not. Next quarter I'm assigning seats from day one and being a lot more strict with clean-up. One of my biggest challenges right now is that the kids work at such different paces. Some kids will whip through a project and finish it very quickly and DO NOT want to work on it anymore and other kids will work SO slow. The kids that finish early just want to talk to their friends and not do anything else. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I have tried extra credit sketches, reading a book, helping me clean around the room and things like that, but many times they put up a struggle. What works for junior high! kids? Marcia L.