tea in teacups

---------

From: Michelle (mmolnar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 09:51:43 PST

I just had my ceramics students make teapots and teacups from clay and
glaze. When they were finished, we had a teaparty and drank from the cups
and pots they made. After the teaparty, we noticed that some of the cups
and pots got stained from the tea. We noticed this when we turned them over
and the unglazed bottom was stained. The items were glazed everywhere but
on the bottom. Does the fact that they stained mean that they are not
really food safe? I thought that as long as you used food safe (non lead
based glaze) the item would be food safe. I am a little concerned because
in order for the bottom to be stained, it means the tea was seeping through
the glaze to the bottom. I am a little worried! Please help! you can
e-mail me off the list. mmolnar@theriver.com

---