Re: Re gluing rubber to plastc

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 06:55:49 PST

All silicone glues are toxic. Sometimes you have to use them, but take
precautions...ventilation, keep it off your skin, etc. I have noticed
that Goop smells much worse than E-6000. Of course, that doesn't mean
anything, except that it doesn't smell as bad!

Speaking of "just because it doesn't smell bad doesn't mean it can't hurt
you", I had a horrible reaction to the propellant from a spray can of oven
cleaner once. My husband had cleaned our oven (fume free product as
advertised on label). I came home from work 4 hours later. He told me he
had cleaned the oven, so I inspected it and praised him lavishly. I then
(according to him) changed clothes and left in the car to go swimming at a
neighborhood pool. I came home 45 minutes later, totally disoriented, had
no idea where I'd been, could only express that "Something was wrong" with
me. I had NO short term memory...zero, zip, nada.
I mean NO short term memory. I could express how I felt at the moment,
but couldn't remember ANYTHING that my husband just told me, about the
oven cleaner being suspected by him as causing my problem. I don't
remember the ride to the hospital, the EEG, the MRI, talking to the
doctors, and so on. THe first thing I remember is a nurse sitting on my
bed at 2:30 am holding my hand, looking in my eyes and saying "You just
keep asking the same questions over and over."

TO make a long story short, our "fume free oven cleaner" aerosol spray
caused us a terrifying 2 weeks. I had a hypersensitive reaction to the
propellant. The very next day, I found out that a neighbor's mom had the
same reaction to bug spray, another friend at school told me about his
father having this reaction to spray paint. In essence, we all "huffed".
While my husband was the one who cleaned the oven, he didn't open the
windows in the kitchen or turn on the vent fan. He wsn't bothered by it a
bit, but when I opened up the oven, it must have all whooshed up into my
face. If you are using ANY propellant, make sure you are in a WELL VENTED
area, outdoors, upwind, etc. is best. It took me two full weeks to feel
normal again. Totally terrifying. I had never had this reaction before,
and being an artist, you can bet I've used plenty of spray products. Just
be careful. Use goggles when called for, use masks when called for, wear
aprons, wash hands, don't smoke and glaze! (or eat and glaze). Art is no
fun when you finally realize it might be poisoning you or making you sick.
 I'll never look at spray paint the same way again.

PS...I wish I was going to Miami...I'd love to meet you guys. Someday....

---