Re: words are not just words

---------

From: sbacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 15:28:17 PST

> Kathleen Shilson wrote:
> > Jayna said
> > it best- "You know, kids are going to use these words no matter
> > what you say. Adults use them too"- "I don't think
> > it is worth it to make a big deal about it."
>
> I'll continue to make a big enough deal about it.

> ...not in public and especially not in my classroom,
> ... perpetuate hate and I correct adults in public who use hate
> speech as well. If the world is to change, then we each need to
> do our small part to make it a more civil place to raise our children.
> IMHO, Woody in KC

I agree with Woody. Did any of you happen to see the Boston Public episode
that aired on tv maybe two weeks ago? It centered on the use of the word
nigger in our culture; one white friend calling his black friend that word.
Some students, both black and white, thought it was okay for friends, some did
not. The discussion was pretty intense and excellent points were made.
Teenage and adult perspectives were given. I'm not even comfortable writing
the word because of its historical meaning and the hatred it represents.
Children learn by example and we as teachers are role models. Teaching is an
honored position (even if we don't feel it sometimes) and when we commited
ourselves to this profession, we signed on to be teachers 24/7, not just when
we are on school grounds. Just my opinion,

Sandy

---