Re: Curious about the state of other States?

---------

From: Susan M Kipp (smkipp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 15:47:48 PST

HI LARRY.
THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT I WILL HAVE EVERY FRI. OFF NEXT YEAR. THE BAD NEWS IS
THAT I WILL BE TAKING A 20% CUT IN PAY (THAT WILL LATER EFFECT MY
RETIREMENT) IN ORDER TO KEEP MY JOB NEXT YEAR.. THE OREGON STATE LEGISLATURE
HAS REPEATEDLY REFUSED ADEQUATE SCHOL FUNDING WHILE INCREASING MANDATES
(MOSTLY TESTING). OUR DISTRICT, PORTLAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS HAVING FOOLISHLY
SQUANDERED MONIES AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE LEVELS, IS CUTTING ANOTHER 20
MILLION FROM THE BUDGET. OUR CONTRACT IS COMING UP FOR NEGOTIATIONS. THE
DISTRICT WNTS TO CUT BACK AND CAP OUR HEALTH BENEFITS, STOP GIVING US COST
OF LIVING RAISES, AND CUT THE NUMBER OF SCHOOL DAYS. AND THAT'S JUST FOR
STARTERS. ENOUGH FOR NOW.
SUSAN