Re: I need secrets

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 11:21:36 PST

Betty Edwards Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is a great drawing course all by itself.
Two other books that I use, although a bit more advanced, have a lot of good lessons and ideas for how to approach a variety of drawing concepts. They are:
Kimon Nicolaides, The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study, Houghton Mifflin, 1969.
Bernard Chaet The Art of Drawing, Yale University, third editon, 1983.
None of these will teach taste. However, when these students begin to be able to control their drawing, they'll more likely take risks and move away from their monster trucks or whatever they feel safe with.
Good Luck, Mark
  Heidi McElroy <hmcelroy@naxs.com> wrote: Fellow Art Educators:
Next year I have proposed a drawing course for my high school. We
already have Art 1,2,3,4, and Art History courses. This will be for
improving drawing skills and learning to draw. Some students who inquire
about the course have said "I only like to draw". I know that some of
these are told all through their childhood "you draw so well", by well
meaning but not necessarily knowledgeable people. Some draw only tattoo
designs. I don't want to crush their enthusiasm, and I don't want to
turn them off by learning fundamentals of seeing and drawing. I am
appealing to your experience. How can I encorporate what they already
do and teach good drawing skills at the same time?
I have had in my studio courses the boys who draw trucks with big
wheels on the bottom of the page and take art for 3 years and still
think those trucks are great. How can I get through? Your suggestions
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Heidi in VA.