RE: words are not just words

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 10:09:24 PST

> Just FYI, these are also words to be cautious with that many people don't
> think of: The word 'welch' as in 'welching' on a deal is an ethnic slur to
> the Welsh people, and 'Geez' is actually short for Jesus.

        'Gee' is also an alteration of Jesus.

        I always tell kids that I expect to hear the same language I use in
class -
        I also tell them - and my own children - that I can't always control
what others say, the only thing I can control is my reaction to their words.
It is that reaction that gives any word power.

        That doesn't mean I condone the use of objectionable words. But in
the real world, they are going to hear a lot of things, they have to know
how to react and appropriate ways to react.

---