I need secrets

---------

From: Heidi McElroy (hmcelroy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 12:10:39 PST

Fellow Art Educators:
        Next year I have proposed a drawing course for my high school. We
already have Art 1,2,3,4, and Art History courses. This will be for
improving drawing skills and learning to draw. Some students who inquire
about the course have said "I only like to draw". I know that some of
these are told all through their childhood "you draw so well", by well
meaning but not necessarily knowledgeable people. Some draw only tattoo
designs. I don't want to crush their enthusiasm, and I don't want to
turn them off by learning fundamentals of seeing and drawing. I am
appealing to your experience. How can I encorporate what they already
do and teach good drawing skills at the same time?
         I have had in my studio courses the boys who draw trucks with big
wheels on the bottom of the page and take art for 3 years and still
think those trucks are great. How can I get through? Your suggestions
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Heidi in VA.

---