Re: words are not just words

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 07:38:30 PST

I agree wholeheartedly. Also, I don't believe that students realize that
words like "crap" and "pissed" are actually cuss words. They say these
without thought and when I say anything I have had students look at me and
say "How is that a cuss word?" Not all students are being taught at home
what is acceptable and what is not. I have replaced these words in my
classroom with "dang" and "angered me greatly". I have also taught them to
say "that hurts my feelings" when verbal joking gets too personal. My
students (high school) actually use these in my room, along with other
replacement words. They find it humorous to use these words. One of my
responsibilities is to prepare these young people for life after high
school, and language is very important part of that preparation.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids